Saturday, January 09, 2010

Living as a minimalist

I recently came across an online website advocating being a minimalist. Started to read more about it to understand the essence of it.

It turns out to be "Less is more". Simple as it may sound, it is actually quite multi-dimensional, applicable in almost every aspects of our life.

I also came to realize how much I needed to start living more like a minimalist. Esp when I realize I did spend alot, shop alot, sleep too much etc. Particularly shopping, I must admit I bought much more things over the last year as compared to previous years.

It's a kind of obsession I think, something like me having tons of notebooks that are totally brand new. Fortunately, I managed to overcome this notebook obsession, no more notebook purchases, just have to use those that I currently own, which happens to be a box-ful.

So I decided that I should apply the minimalist spirit into my everyday every-moment life.

Spend less - Save up more (for grad trips)
Shop less - I need to make more rationale and quality purchases. This will also translate to more savings. I should bear in mind my mummy's nagging "东西是买不完的"
Surf less - I really enjoy the abundance of time we have during Dharma Camp 3 years ago where there's no TV, internet, laptop etc. More time to appreciate each moment of life and to spend more time on quality activities.:)
Sleep less - Ever since last sem when I took only 3 modules, I feel that I am not as productive as when I was in year 2 taking 6 modules and still have the time to join CCAs. It has got to be me sleeping too much. I must rmb "I can sleep all I want when I leave the Earth".
Eat less - Definitely not dieting. I always eat whenever I like. I need to be more mindful of how much I eat and maintain a balance.
Make-up less - Tried this for the past few days, really love the feeling. It's actually not zero make-up for me. Just that I replaced my liquid foundation with BB cream and I skipped my eye make-up totally. Saves me a lot of time too as eye make-up is the most tedious of all. I believe it helps my skin to breathe better, thus feel less burdened. Overall, I feel more comfortable and natural without worrying about not being presentable.

Alright, 6 less-es sound good enough for the moment:) Shall work on them!

For a start, a nice body and facial scrub plus a facial mask to kick off the last weekends of my holidays:) Life's simple pleasures:) CnG!

No comments: